Group History

1888 - 1945
The company was forged in 1888, originally operating as steel erection engineers under the leadership of William Hare. In 1920, William Hare Junior takes over the reins of the company. Then in 1945, William Hare Limited is incorporated.
1945 - 1965
After his return from the War, Bartle Hodgkiss, son-in-law to William Hare Junior joins the board of directors. The company makes a strategic decision to enter the steel fabrication market due to increasing local competition in erection services. Between 1945 and 1965, William Hare Ltd expands beyond the North West of England and begins to carry out projects throughout the United Kingdom.
1959 - 1970's
In 1959 William Hare Junior passes away and Bartle Hodgkiss takes over the company. The company continues to grow throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s, breaking into the chemicals market and beginning to export fabricated steel to petrochemical projects worldwide.
1977
In 1977, William Hare Ltd wins the prestigious Queens Award for Export. The award is formally presented at special ceremony to Bartle Hodgkiss by the Mayor of Bolton, the Mayor of Tyldesley and the Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire. Later that year, the company purchases the California Engineering Company and begins operating from what is now the William Hare Bury Facility.
1992
In 1992 the company establishes William Hare SEA Ltd and opens an office in Singapore.
1998
In 1998, after a number of acquisitions including Hawkins Structures Ltd and Westbury Tubular Structures Ltd, the company restructures under the umbrella company William Hare Group Ltd.
2000
The turn of the millennium was a time of change for the company. William Hare Ltd moved its headquarters to Brandlesholme House in Bury, moving the head office away from the company’s birth place of Bolton. The Weston Street Facility is then later demolished.
2002
William Hare India is established in 2002 in Chennai. The company is developed to support the engineering activities across the William Hare Group.
2003
In 2003 the company enters into a joint venture in FABSEC along with Severfield, Tata Steel and Sherwin Williams. Later that year Cellbeam is established to best utilise the Group’s FABSEC license. Cellbeam is located in Wetherby at the old Westbury Tubular Structure facility.
2005
William Hare further extends its global reach by purchasing a controlling interest in Headline Abu Dhabi, the name is later changed to William Hare UAE.
2007 - 2008
In 2007 to 2008 William Hare India wins an Elcot Export Performance award and the company is relocated to purpose built offices in Perungudi, Chennai.
2008
William Hare Group purchases a facility located in Dubai and creates Cellbeam Middle East to further expand the production of cellular beams. William Hare UAE wins a Tekla Global Model Award for Al Dar HQ.
2010
In 2010, William Hare Group purchases Grantham Paint Facility and William Hare Painting Ltd is officially incorporated
2012
William Hare becomes the first UK production facility to be awarded the EC Certificate of Factory Control Production, also known as CE Marking. A year later, William Hare UAE becomes one of the first companies in the UAE to also achieve CE Marking.
2013
In 2013 the company purchases the intellectual assets of Richard Lees Steel Decking Ltd and establishes William Hare Decking based in Ashborne, Derbyshire. In September the company is rebranded as Richard Lees Decking.
2014
In December 2014 William Hare Group acquired Eiffel Steelworks Ltd and opens the William Hare Wigan Facility, which supports the complex and bespoke steel fabrication work produced by the Bury facility.
Go Back